Thursday, February 25, 2021

Group Meetings>>>

Today in class we had a group meeting in class over Microsoft Teams to discuss our portfolio projects and it honestly went gr8 :D


I got put in a group with Valentina, Autumn, Sara, and Amy, and two of them were also doing a docuseries so it was extremely convenient to hear insights from one another! After voicing the lack of direction I had with my idea, they made me reflect on whether I want my project to be based more on facts, and the structure of how BLMWeston was created, or to be a more emotional piece focusing on the perspectives of the interviewees regarding racism. Some suggested to focus more on facts since racism is of course a very sensitive topic, but we ultimately came to a conclusion that I have to speak with my potential interviewees first to discuss what they want to share, and how comfortable they would be sharing the more intimate details of their story. Having touchy scenes could lead to a powerful piece, which is ultimately what I’m aiming for.


Therefore, after our lengthy discussion, I decided that I will be combining both history and personal perspective in my docuseries. Mentioning the events of the summer would explain why some of the interviewees were influenced to create BLMWeston, so I think it’s a perfect idea. My group members also reminded me to discuss the potential questions with the interviewee before filming, and to maybe include screenshots of the BLMWeston social media page to make the piece more engaging. They also suggested that I could reach out to the followers of BLMWeston in case I have trouble finding more interviewees. As of now, I only think I’ll need one or two for the five minute piece, which shouldn’t be much of an issue since my close friend is one of the founders of the organization.


Anyways, I’ll definitely keep in mind everything my group told me, and I’ll start finding some potential interviewees from BLMWeston ASAP. 


So. Excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Critical Reflection Essay

The docuseries, Fighting for Change, aims to educate audiences about the racial injustice faced by local communities and the steps that can ...