Sunday, February 16, 2020

Drama Research

I spent a great amount of time brainstorming. Spoiler alert: I had no solid idea for what I wanted to my film opening to be about. Should I make it personal? Should I make it about a kidnapper or stalker? (Ok definitely not the latter).

Ultimately, I decided to conduct some research on the drama genre. Original, I know. I was conflicted because with this project I want to take risks and fully get out of my comfort zone, but this genre provides me with the flexibility I need to work around such a loose concept. Hopefully along the way I’ll be more confident in my ideas that I’ll end up electing a more specific sub-genre, as the drama genre is extremely broad and can be interlaced with other genres such as comedy, action, or romance. Due to to this, the target audience may vary by sub-genre.

Drama films are usually narrative fiction, which gives me endless possibilities for the direction of my story in the creative sense. Naturally, emotional themes are present in these films which tend to revolve around real life situations. These themes can include poverty, drug addiction, and moral dilemmas. They rely heavily on the emotional development of realistic characters, and exhibit intense social interactions. Conflicts can occur between these characters or within one’s self. In terms of sound elements, they tend to have intense soundtracks which are crucial to developing the tense tone many of these films carry. Most importantly, films in this genre all communicate a story of human struggles, which is what I believe I need to achieve in my two minute time slot to truly resonate with my audience.

As the great Alfred Hitchcock one said, "Drama is life with the dull bits cut out."


References:

Buffam, N. (2011, March 15). Drama. Retrieved from https://thescriptlab.com/screenplay/genre/952-drama/


No comments:

Post a Comment

Critical Reflection Essay

The docuseries, Fighting for Change, aims to educate audiences about the racial injustice faced by local communities and the steps that can ...