Sunday, April 12, 2020

Reflecting...

This  portfolio project further developed my directing, editing, and cinematography skills. It has truthfully provided me with so much knowledge and experience that I am grateful to have. From the beginning, it was naturally an overwhelming feeling to take on such a large task. I didn’t trust my time management skills and questioned my creativity at times. I had never planned so extensively on a movie I’ve made as much I have with this project, and I realized how beneficial it is to slowly map everything out.

I was able to try out new techniques that I hadn’t had the chance to before and experiment more with my editing software. Specifically, I tried color correcting for the first time. It was rather difficult, but I feel I achieved the cold, dull, look I was hoping for. Writing the screenplay was most likely my biggest challenge, since I struggle with writing strong dialogue. With the assistance of my actress, I felt I wrote the best screenplay I have yet. I focused a lot more on lighting as well, attempting to make the bathroom I shot in more dark, and even using a professional light for my second scene. I definitely have greatly improved the most on how to develop tone efficiently through all these methods.

I faced obstacles along the way due to the quarantine situation, but I was able to develop a new story that allowed me to film entirely in my house. In terms of the extremely limited resources I had, I feel I made the most of the situation I was placed in, regarding my limited choices regarding actors and setting. Not having the same amount of time and weeks to formulate my new idea was honestly not as large of a setback as I had thought it would be. I came up with my new plan rather quickly and was able to discuss it with Mrs. Stoklosa, which gave me a lot of reassurance.

While directing my sister on what to do since she was the main character, I realized the importance of communication with your actors to fully enhance their performance. I would just be telling her to repeat the shot/line instead of specifically guiding her on what I wanted her to do. This led to some frustration and tiredness behind the scenes that could’ve easily been avoided if I had explained myself better. It was a journey, between changing my story, and adjusting my shooting schedule to my sister’s busy school schedule, and keeping myself motivated during quarantine, but ultimately I am proud of what I was able to come up with. I loved seeing how the footage I filmed came together in the end, as well as my progression as a filmmaker.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Critical Reflection Essay

The docuseries, Fighting for Change, aims to educate audiences about the racial injustice faced by local communities and the steps that can ...